When can I check in to see if I am selected for a screen?

You can log in to the RecoveyTrek app or call RecoveryTrek any time after 1:00am and up until 10:00pm

What are the requirements for application for or renewal of a Pharmacy license in Pennsylvania?

Pennsylvania State Board of Pharmacy Requirements

  • 30 hours of continuing education must be completed by by September 30 of even numbered year.
  • 2 hours must be completed in the ACPE topic designator “Patient Safety.”
  • For pharmacists with the authorization to administer injectable medications, biologicals and immunizations 2 hours shall concern the administration of injectable medications, biologicals and immunizations, including disease epidemiology, vaccine characteristics, injection technique, emergency response to adverse events and related topics. Home study must be approved by ACPE.


Can I be in SARPH without the involvement of the State Board of Pharmacy?

Yes. Sarah can monitor pharmacists without the involvement of the State Board in several instances:

  1. The pharmacist has not had any legal charges.
  2. The pharmacist has not been confronted for being impaired while on duty.
  3. The pharmacist is not accused of diverting substances from the workplace.
  4. The pharmacist is attempting to reinstate a suspended license.
All calls are handled with caring and confidentiality.
Our goal is to assist professionals who need help with a drug or alcohol problem
or mental illness BEFORE his/her practice is affected. We encourage pharmacists and interns to call SARPH for help BEFORE they have a complaint filed with the Board and BEFORE they need an attorney because they have criminal charges.

What makes me eligible for enrollment in the SARPH monitoring program?

You are eligible for enrollment in our program if you are a pharmacist or pharmacy intern who has been diagnosed with a substance use disorder or a psychological and/or mental health disorder such as bi-polar disorder, psychosis, and schizophrenia. Enrollment requires entrance into a monitoring contract with SARPH and an agreement to comply with the terms and conditions. You voluntarily sign a contract with SARPH as a commitment to your recovery.

Are there any costs associated with the program?

Yes. Participants are responsible for paying for the cost of an evaluation. This cost is dependent on the treatment provider who is performing the evaluation.
Clients are also responsible for any co-pays and deductible payments should treatment be required.
The participant pays for the cost of all random drug screens.
There is an annual fee for participation in SARPH. This varies dependent on the type of license or advanced practice degree.
Please don’t be discouraged regarding the associated fees. Discuss your financial concerns
with your case manager.

What are the key components of monitoring with SARPH?

Total Abstinence: SARPH is an abstinence-based program. Participant must maintain total abstinence from any and all addictive substances and alcohol. This includes products that contain alcohol, kratom, bath salts, any substance that potentially contains THC, one of the active components on cannabis, or any mood altering substance.

Random Drug Screening: average cost $32 – $50 per screen plus collection fee charged by the collection site.

Treatment:  Evaluation – average cost free to $125

Evaluation and agreeing to the recommended treatment plan. Possible treatment recommendations include:
In-Patient Detoxification, In-patient Rehabilitation, Partial program, Intensive Out-patient Program, Individual Therapy and Group Therapy. 
SARPH will assist you with obtaining funding if necessary.

Twelve Step Meeting Attendance: FREE. Participants must agree to participate in 12 step recovery meetings and submit verification of attendance. 

Healthcare Professional Group: Pharmacists will enroll in a health care professional group following discharge from the higher intensity treatment programs. This group meets on a weekly basis.

Monitored Practice: Employers or potential employers must be aware of your participation in the monitoring program. Confidentiality is our priority. We will obtain a release for your direct supervisor and all correspondence will be directed through that person.

How long will I be monitored?

Our program is a three-year monitoring program that provides support and documented evidence of your recovery. 

I was suspected of taking drugs from my employer - what should I do?

Contact SARPH immediately for assistance so that we can gather information and guide you through the referral and reporting process.

My employer said they have to report me to the Attorney General’s Office, the DEA, and the local police — what will happen?

Employers have a legal requirement to notify these agencies if there is a suspicion of diversion.  You may be contacted by any of these agencies.  Contact SARPH and we can assist you in finding legal representation.  Attorneys should be experienced with both criminal law and administrative law when dealing with the Board of Pharmacy.  It is important they understand the effect a criminal plea may have on your license.

My employer said they are reporting me to the Board of Pharmacy — what will happen?

A complaint to the Board of Pharmacy will be referred to the PHMP (Professional Health Monitoring Program), whose role it is to determine the likelihood of of your practice being a danger to the public.    That determination will be based largely in part on the results of an drug and alcohol and/or a mental health evaluation by an approved provider.  You may receive a letter from the PHMP requesting you contact SARPH.  However, SARPH is available to Pharmacist at any time, and we encourage you to contact us before you receive the letter.

What is the PHMP?

The PHMP (Professional Health Monitoring Program) is a Pennsylvania government agency that works in conjunction with the Pennsylvania Licensing Boards.  Their primary focus is to protect the health and safety of the public from healthcare providers who they believe may be at risk of being impaired.  They will determine eligibility for a alternative to discipline monitoring program.  They also responsible for any disciplinary monitoring agreements issued by the Board of Pharmacy.

What should I do if I get a letter from the PHMP?

If you receive a letter from the PHMP, please contact SARPH as it instructs you to do.  Our role is to help you address the letter, refer you for an evaluation if necessary, and clear up any misconceptions you may have about what is being asked of you.  We will also explain the entire process and any consequences of your failure to respond.  Please, we advise you not to ignore this letter as it could result in public and permanent discipline on your license.  

What are the rules for the reporting crimes and disciplinary action?

Effective April 16, 2018, any person holding a license, issued by a licensing board or board commission under the Bureau of Professional and Occupational Affairs shall notify the appropriate licensing board/commission within 30 days of the occurrence of any of the following: 
  •  A disciplinary action taken by a licensing agency or another jurisdiction.
  • A finding or verdict of guilt, an admission of guilt, a plea of Nolo Contendere, probation without verdict, disposition in lieu of trial or an accelerated rehabilitative disposition (ARD) of any felony or misdemeanor offense.

How do I file a report to the Board of Pharmacy?

  • Google PA PALS (must set up an account)
  • Mandatory reporting selection for licensees
  • Google PA Department of State
  • File a Complaint on right hand side
  • Select Professional/Occupational in 1st question
  • Place “Licensee” in the 2nd question to indicate self-report